Re: detention basin

You are basically just designing a rectangular water tank.  AWWA and others offer guidance on this type of design including sloshing effects, seismic design, earth pressure, etc. PCA also offers a publication entitled "Rectangular Concrete Tanks" which might be of help.

Remember that the basin can be empty or full so look at both conditions.  Also, if it is buried, your most important LL may be what is on top. For example, are there traffic loads which need to be distributed. AASHTO can provide guidance in this area.

The corrosion issue depends on your expected design life, the corrosiveness of groundwater and surrounding soil as well as what might be in the stored water.  Although we'd like to think otherwise, no structure is permanent without careful and continuing maintenance.

Regards,
Bill Cain, S.E.
Berkeley CA