From: "Harold Sprague" <spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: control joints in topping slabs
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2006 21:31:25 +0000

Benjamin,
If you are referring to normal concrete slabs on form deck, control joints are generally not used. The Steel Deck Institute recommends minimum reinforcing steel that is intended to control the cracks that will form in the concrete, but control joints are not generally used.

The concept is that the concrete is bonded to the steel deck and the steel deck is rigidly connected to the superstructure. The concrete is restrained by the steel.

Regards,
Harold Sprague