RE: control joints in topping slabs

I would agree. Your topping slab will crack where the supporting slab has cracked. The welded wire reinforcing will help control the cracks, but will not prevent them. Use a good mix minimizing water. Keep in mind that any good water reducer will be more sticky to finish, but a good finishing crew can handle it. They will complain, but they can handle it. Do the best you can do to provide a good bond to the parent slab.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: "Benjamin Cornelius" <bcorneli(--nospam--at)hotmail.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: control joints in topping slabs
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 09:06:10 -0400

Harold,

I'm thinking of a non-structural topping slab (2" to 4" thick, sloped to drains) poured on top of a previously cast slab on composite metal deck.

There is no bond breaker between the slab on deck and the topping slab, so I guess that control joints are not going to help reduce the chances of uncontrolled cracking much, since the topping slab will probably crack wherever the supporting slab on deck cracks.

We have welded wire fabric in the topping slab, so that will probably help to keep the size of the cracks down. Any thoughts?