RE: Flag Drag

I saw somewhere that you use the projected area of the flag as though the wind was blowing at right angles to the flag.  This is somewhat conservative but has been found to be reliable.  I will try to remember where this method came from.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: David Maynard [mailto:DMaynard(--nospam--at)kfx.com]
Sent: Monday, September 11, 2006 10:55 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Flag Drag

Here’s what I got.

A flag pole wants to be installed on top of a Structure.  I want to make sure that the flag pole on hand is capable of the loading.  Therefore, I need to know how to calculate the wind load on the waving banner.  Is there a spec out there, or can someone point me in the right direction, as to a design procedure for this.  I’d appreciate it.

David Maynard, PE

Gillette, Wyoming