Re: Welding around Bending Area

On Sep 12, 2006, at 8:24 AM, Wontae Kim wrote:

Sometimes I need to use bent plates instead of regular steel angle.
I believe welding near bending area will deteriorate base material's properties.
Is there specified minimum distance to avoid this kind of problem?

It depends on a lot of things. The bent area is cold worked and somewhat more brittle and subject to fatigue. That occurs independent of welding and may constitute degradation all by itself, depending on the quality of the cold forming and the bend radius. In particular too tight a bend radius or bending by impact may cause cracking. Welding may aggravate matters, especially near a crack, both by creating low toughness areas or with residual stress. Load transfer through a bend also creates a stress concentration at the inner bend radius.

The bent area may be in sorry shape or good shape after bending but the weld itself won't have any effect if you keep the heat affected zone away from the cold worked area.

http://www.skypoint.com/~chrisw/