RE: Segmented/Perforated Shearwalls

Bhairavi,

As I understand it, a perforated shear wall still has to meet the height-to-width requirements for a segmented shear wall design.  The difference between the two is that you can substantially reduce the number of holdowns in a perforated shear wall (the allowable shear will also be slightly less).  This might be the reason the jurisdiction rejected the design, or, like you said, they may simply not allow perforated shear walls yet.  The other option is to design the shear wall for force transfer around the openings.  This would require an in-depth static analysis of the forces at the corners of the openings and then strapping to transfer those forces to the wall “piers”.   This is really not as bad as it might sound.

Hope that helps.

Doug Mayer, S.E.

Structural Engineer

teter a+e, LLP