Re: Simpson Column Connector Mismatch

thanks

Will H.

On 9/13/06, David.Topete(--nospam--at)wildman-morris.com <David.Topete(--nospam--at)wildman-morris.com > wrote:

It depends if it'll be exposed for arch'l reasons, or to the elements.  If you're going to cover it up, which I doubt sinced you've mentioned glulams, you could shim it up.  Otherwise, have the contractor order the piece from Simpson.  I'd suggest the CC cap with straps rotated 90 deg.

David A. Topete, S.E.

"Will Haynes" <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com>

09/13/2006 04:56 PM

seaint <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
cc
Subject
Simpson Column Connector Mismatch

What is normally done when you have a beam and column combination that does not fit into any of the Simpson sizes and you still want to use the Simpson products? For instance, I have designed a 5" wide glulam with a 5"x6 7/8" glulam column. I wanted the 5" dimension of the beam and the column to line up vertically hoping it will look better, so I went to the Simpson catalog looking for a connector that fits the 5" dimension ("W1" connector dimension) of the beam and the 6 7/8" ("W2" dimension) of the column.

The closest I found was a CCQ5-8 that would require shims around the column to fit (it has a 7 1/2" "W2" dimension). The other option would be to specify a made to order size from Simpson to exactly fit my beam-column combination and loading. Is shimming more common or is the "made to fit" sizing?

http://www.strongtie.com/products/connectors/CCQ-ECCQ.html#gallery