Re: metal strapping on wall lines

Why do you state that it not a perforated shearwall? If you poke a hole in a sheathed wall, it is a perforated shearwall regardless of how you chose to analyze it.  And regardless of how you analyze it, it's stronger with reinforcing around the opening.
Chuck Utzman,PE

Pinyon Engineering wrote:
Hi
I have noticed on some wood framed houses that metal strapping is being placed at the top and bottom of windows extending on to the adjacent wall piers.  they are not perforated shearwalls.   are these straps intended to tie the windows to the shearwalls ? I thought the top plates did this.  any insight as to why strapping is being called out this way?

Tim Rudolph
Pinyon Enginnering
Bishop CA