RE: metal strapping on wall lines

The concept of force transfer around the opening is so that the panel acts as a single unit with respect to overturning.  If adequate force transfer around the opening is not provided the piers would be considered individually for overturning and the resultant wall would require four hold-downs instead of two.  This is the classic approach for door openings, windows would be blocked and strapped to make the wall panel work as a unit, however the door opening would require hold-downs each side as individual piers regardless of the force transfer provisions at the top of the opening.

I am not very familiar with the “perforated shear wall approach”, but I understand this was intended as an analysis rationale that would permit consideration of the overturning globally even across door ways with appropriate force transfer at the top of the opening.  This is one of the reasons some jurisdictions do approve of this approach as someone recently posted.

If the analysis is pursued further, deep windows are very similar to door openings in that there is insufficient depth above or below the opening to develop the forces from the jamb sections, and therefore inadequate capacity and stiffness to transfer the overturning forces to the exterior panel jambs.

From: Pinyon Engineering [mailto:Pinyonengineering(--nospam--at)hughes.net]
Sent: Thursday, September 14, 2006 7:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: metal strapping on wall lines

Hi

I have noticed on some wood framed houses that metal strapping is being placed at the top and bottom of windows extending on to the adjacent wall piers.  they are not perforated shearwalls.   are these straps intended to tie the windows to the shearwalls ? I thought the top plates did this.  any insight as to why strapping is being called out this way?

Tim Rudolph

Pinyon Enginnering

Bishop CA