Wind Load on Open Structures

To Whom It May Concern:

I’m in the process of designing a Canopy for the loading and unloading of school buses.  The structure is basically an open structure with a flat roof with some vertical surfaces (columns and a band around the top of the structure).  I’ve calculated the uplift on the structure, from Figure 6-18, but I’m not familiar with applying the ASCE 7-02 to an open structure to get forces on the vertical surfaces.  Do I use Figure 6-20 for these or am I missing something.  Also, can someone recommend a good reference on wind loads?  I have the “Guide to the Use of the Wind Load Provisions of ASCE 7-02” but it really doesn’t address open structures.  Thank you.

Xan Cutcliff, P.E.

Engineer I

P.O. Box 22625

Jackson, MS 39225-2625

P. 601-948-3071

F. 601-948-3178

xcutcliff(--nospam--at)neel-schaffer.com

http://www.neel-schaffer.com