Re: ASD steel composite beam design

No, it doesn't.  The non-composite section is at full allowable bending capacity, and is defelecting about 2" under total load.  I would think that if Iuse the 1/4 Vh value, I greatly reduce the number of weld studsdeflections are still within allowable limits.  Just reading through the ASD spec, it almost seems as if it's all or nothing if the reduced horiz shear Vh' doesn't calc to at least 1/4 Vh.  Actually, reading the paragraph on 5-59 as you've pointed out kinda answers my question.  Thanks Will.

David A. Topete, S.E.

"Will Haynes" <gtg740p(--nospam--at)gmail.com>

09/14/2006 05:42 PM

Please respond to
<seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>

seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
cc
Subject
Re: ASD steel composite beam design

By page 5-59 it looks like you do have to meet the 1/4 minimum if using any composite action. Does the beam work without studs at all? I have used non-composite beams on a floor where the rest of the beams were composite.

Will H.