From: Pinyon Engineering [mailto:Pinyonengineering(--nospam--at)hughes.net]
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 8:13 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: metal strapping on wall lines

The shearwall is not perforated -- the shear wall segment is about 10' long with windows on each side and then pier that don't meet aspect ratios. also the SW nailing is only on the 10' section (3 & 12) with 6 & 12 nailing outside the shearwall segment and holddowns at the ends of the 10' segments. a perforated SW needs specific construction requirements I can't see the required or installed requirements.   is this just more work for an undefined increase in strength?

a while ago I had a contractor insist a 10d nail is stronger than an 8d nail in a flat block.  I ran the numbers with the penetration of the nail factored in (2001 CBC code-- 1997 UBC rules)  the 10d calc. was only a few lbs stronger.  so more is better but by how much and what effort? if someone is just trying to meet the low bar set by the code.

Tim Rudolph

Pinyon Engineering

Why do you state that it not a perforated shearwall? If you poke a hole
in a sheathed wall, it is a perforated shearwall regardless of how you
chose to analyze it.  And regardless of how you analyze it, it's
stronger with reinforcing around the opening.
Chuck Utzman,PE

--
-gm