Re: Seismic requirements in NYC

Kyle,

For a braced frame with shear walls, R of 8 seems to be high. For a SCBF and a special concrete shear wall, a R of 6 is specified both by IBC and ASCE.

Maybe I am missing something, but R of 8 seems high for the system specified.

Thanks
Anantha

Kyle Delabar <kadelabar(--nospam--at)lvta.net> wrote:
Hello All,

I am designing the bracing connections for a mid-rise (approx. 15-story) residential building in Manhattan, NYC.  The lateral force resisting system consists of braced frames and concrete shear walls. The EOR has indicated an Rw = 8 on the drawings and references the NYC building code.  From what I gather, the NYC building code follows UBC 1990.  I know that if this were somewhere else with IBC as the code, I would be thrown into seismic detailing of connections because R>3, but I do not see this requirement in the NYC code.  The EOR has provided design brace forces on the elevations.  Is there any such seismic detailing requirement or can I just design the bracing connections for the loads given?  I understand that this question might be better directed to the EOR, but I wanted to know the correct answer before asking him.

Thanks,

K. DeLabar

ANANTHA NARAYAN, E.I.
Structural Engineer