To: seaint
Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2006 9:18 PM
Subject: Seismic requirements in NYC

Hello All,

I am designing the bracing connections for a mid-rise (approx. 15-story) residential building in Manhattan, NYC.  The lateral force resisting system consists of braced frames and concrete shear walls. The EOR has indicated an Rw = 8 on the drawings and references the NYC building code.  From what I gather, the NYC building code follows UBC 1990.  I know that if this were somewhere else with IBC as the code, I would be thrown into seismic detailing of connections because R>3, but I do not see this requirement in the NYC code.  The EOR has provided design brace forces on the elevations.  Is there any such seismic detailing requirement or can I just design the bracing connections for the loads given?  I understand that this question might be better directed to the EOR, but I wanted to know the correct answer before asking him.

Thanks,

K. DeLabar