Seismic Requirements in NYC

Title: Seismic Requirements in NYC

For what its worth, my understanding is that New York City has passed a law which will adopt the 2003 IBC starting in July 2007, probably with some amendments. I would think the Building Official would be willing to accept a seismic design based on that code if you asked. I have gotten the impression, from limited discussion with city officials in the past, that they were much more aware than previously of seismic risks in the northeast and were anxious to get the codes updated in that regard.

Jim Lutz, P.E., S.E.

206 505 3400 Ext 126

206 505 3406 (Fax)

720 3rd Avenue, Suite 1200