From: Roger Davis [mailto:sds_rdavis(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, September 21, 2006 2:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Joist Connection

Vulcraft published a book "Designing with Steel Joists, Joist Girders, Steel Deck" authored by James M. Fisher, Michael A. West and Julius P. Van De Pas in 1991 that covers joist roll over resistance. You might be able to get a copy of that section if you call Vulcraft.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.

Doug Mayer <dougm(--nospam--at)teterae.com> wrote:
List,

I am working on an addition to an existing CMU building (1985) with a roof of open web steel joists and metal deck.  It seems that diaphragm shear transfer to the CMU walls perpendicular to joist span is accomplished only through the joist bearing connection.  There is no semi-continuous member between the joists that attaches the deck to the wall.  Was this type of connection typical?  If so, is there a quick way of calculating the lateral capacity of the joist seat?  Any advice and/or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Mayer, S.E.
Structural Engineer

teter a+e, LLP