From: "Haan, Scott M POA" <Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: metal deck electrodes - low hydrogen required?
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 09:09:49 -0800

Anyone that knows:

I am dealing with a question over what type of electrodes are required for
puddle welding metal deck to structural steel.  The contractor wants to use
E6022 electrodes and the plans say they are supposed to use low hydrogen
electrodes.

I talked with a deck supplier who said the most of deck is 38 ksi - ASTM A653
and he said he knows that he talked with local erectors who said they use
E6022 electrodes. I had a note in book from a class I took 4 years ago that said everyone wants to use E6022 for steel deck but they should be using low
hydrogen electrodes.

What does AWSD1.3 require low hydrogen electrodes for welding metal deck to
A992 steel members?  If low hydrogen electrodes are required why do people
want to use E6022?

Thanks.
Scott