Re: Redundancy/Reliablity Factor (ro) in Wood Frame BLDG

>>> khemmatyar(--nospam--at)gmail.com 9/21/2006 5:59 AM >>>
>Dear List members:

> There are some "Plan Examiners" that have been requiring computation
of
>Redundancy/Reliability Factor (ro) in Wood Frame BLDG.

> My understanding is that the SEOASC has issued a white paper in this
regard
>and does not require the need for this in light wood frame
structures.

>1- What has been your experience with Redundancy/Reliability Factor
when
>designing a wood frame building?
>   (would you still provide the "Plan Examiner" with "ro"
computation?)

The redundancy/reliability factor is almost always less than 1.0 for
typical residential buildings unless you have a very scary-looking
layout, or the area is huge.
If your spreadsheet is not set up to calculate this factor, you could
just do one or two lines of hand calculations for the critical shear
walls and show that the factor will never be greater than 1.0. If it is
much greater than 1.0, then you should really be scared now than later
(think about the quality of construction around here!!!)

Suresh Acharya, S.E.