Re: Redundancy/Reliablity Factor (ro) in Wood Frame BLDG

Casey,

It looks like I steered you in the wrong direction, and it was a good thing to have posted on the web server.  I haven't worried to much about the rho value in the larger wood buildings since they typically have a lot of wood walls and when checked, rho is always very low (less than one).  In a building with just a few wood shear walls (maybe a single family residence), you may have a shear wall that is taking a large percentage of the shear force, and because of the lack of redundancy in the building (few shear walls) the rho penalty should be applied.

When we spoke I was thinking about the lw/10 limit which has not been applied to the wood shear walls (SEAOC white paper that Ben Youseffi listed in his e-mail response), but was intended for the concrete and masonry walls.  I don't think any building official has been enforcing the lw/10 limit on wood walls...but don't know for a fact.

I would provide the rho factor if asked, and hopefully demonstrate that it is very low

I don't know what is happening in the IBC as of yet...haven't look into it there yet.

I apologize for steering you in the wrong direction..

Mike Cochran S.E.