Re: Header Sizes

The most expensive of all the carpenters on any crew are the layout guys.  Those are the guys that snap lines and cut sills, plates and headers.  The last thing you want is to have that crew messing around with a header assembly of multiple pieces when there is a ready-made, off the shelf product, (a 4x) that is stronger and faster to cut and install.

Its pure cost/benefit.

Don

Ok, I have been working at a small structural company for about 8 months now, since I graduated last December. I am not doing layouts, calcs and drafting projects, which mostly consist of large wood framed custom homes.  Typically when specifying headers they tell me that they like to use 4x4-4x8 for all the headers. Many times I do the calcs, just to see how much stress is placed on the headers and many times a 4x4 is way too conservative. To me this sounds wastefull, when 2-2x6's or 8s could be used, with blocking or shims.  What are some of your thoughts?