From: Harold Sprague [mailto:spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 26, 2006 9:46 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Regional Practices for Masonry Construction

Bill,
In my observations from designing buildings in the continental US, there are
only a few masonry practices that are definitely regional.  Partially
grouted vs. fully grouted is regional.  There are those that push for
partial grouting in high seismic areas to reduce mass, but that is obviously
not the practice in California and Nevada.

What makes partial grouting an issue is the masons' lack of familiarity with
using fabric or lath to block off the vertical cells that are not to
grouted.

The other thing that is definitely regional is moisture controlled CMU.  It
is just not available in the areas of the country like Florida where the
relative humidity is high, and moisture controlled CMU is not available.

The remaining issues that you listed are fairly universal throughout the US.

The US Army Corps of Engineers has driven the market to make "A" block more
widely used, and they save money.  The Corps stadards have been a market
driver throughout the US.  When you do work overseas it is a lot different
than to what we are accustomed.  It just takes a bit of research to
determine indigenous practices and materials and design accordingly.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: <William.Sherman(--nospam--at)CH2M.com>
>To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Regional Practices for Masonry Construction Date: Tue, 26 Sep
>2006
>08:55:16 -0600
>
>I am interested in variations in regional practices for masonry
>construction, especially in the US and Canada. As noted below, there
>are some variations in practice regarding fully grouted vs partially
>grouted.  Are there other variations in regional practices: types of
>block typically used or available? mortar types commonly used? use of
>lintel blocks vs steel lintel beams? single wythe usage? variations in
>control joint types and spacing?
>

>Bill Sherman
>CH2M HILL / DEN
>720-286-2792

Find a local pizza place, music store, museum and more.then map the best
route!  http://local.live.com