RE: Regional Practices for Strucutral Design and Construction

We use metal decking all the time without topping for roof diaphragms. And
we are in seismic zone 4 (or whatever it's called now [I am dating myself]).
This is the case for medium rise multi-story office buildings. For
warehouses and two-story tiltups we typically use a plywood roof diaphragm.

Mark E. Deardorff, Structural Engineer
Burkett & Wong
San Diego, CA