Re: Masonry in Las Vegas Fully Grouted or Partially Grouted

How do you do special masonry walls with partial grout?  The L/3 spacing requirement all but mandates solid grout for anything but the most simple walls.  You have to have a 12 foot long pier before you can use bond beams at 48" on center.  Any pier less than 6 feet long requires bond beams at 24" on center, you might as well grout solid at that point.

P.S. How many people use Strength Design for masonry?  I have done it for several years and am the only one in my office using it.  Now I am studying for the NCEES SEII exam and I can't use it!  I must re-learn the WSD methods and it driving me nuts!

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT