Re: Regional Practices for Strucutral Design and Construction

Metal deck without concrete topping is used in California for roof structures, but in multi-story buildings I prefer to have concrete fill over the metal deck at the roof level. The concrete fill in my opinion provides more flexibility for future roof top changes in the building, but mainly for conc./cmu wall anchorages for wall out-of-plane forces (easier for diaphragm design). It provides for a better wall to diaphragm connection.  If does add mass to the building, so that can be an issue.

Plywood roof diaphragms are still used primarily for warehouses and two-story tilt-ups, partially because of lower up-front construction costs and from my experience that architects involved in this type of building construction are not very familiar with structural metal deck floors and roofs (dealing with slopes, connections, etc. and takes more coordination than they typically have been involved with).

Michael Cochran SE SECB
Brian L. Cochran Associates, Inc.
Los Angeles, CA