From: Gary L. Hodgson and Assoc. [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 10:52 AM
To: SEAINT Mail List
Subject: Clay Tile Repair Suggestions?

Listers,

I'm currently in the process of reviewing an older building (~60 years
old) which was built with clay tile units.  These units have suffered a
LOT of deterioration due to freeze-thaw, so that the faces of many of
the units have spalled off.  The owner wants to keep the repair as cheap
as possible and would like to cover the spalled faces with a non-shrink
concrete patch and then stucco or dryvit the exterior faces.

I know very little about these clay tile units and wonder if the
concrete will adhere to the surface or if any other issues may arise.
Our masonry association recommends replacing the tiles with new units if
any are available.

I would appreciate any and all comments and suggestions.

thanks,
Gary