From: Willcox, Chris M. [mailto:Chris.M.Willcox(--nospam--at)GASAI.com] Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 4:02 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: seaint Digest for 26 Sep 2006

I've worked in LA, San Francisco and Chicago.  Northern and Southern
California were pretty consistent, but Chicago is a whole different
ballgame.  My experience on partial vs solid grouting agrees with
everybody else.  I've always assumed it had to do with whether the
horizontal reinforcing was rebar or joint reinforcing.  Even with
horizontal bars at 48" it seems to me that messing around with dams is
more trouble and expense than just pouring the wall solid.  I've also
come across the lack of moisture-controlled block in Florida that Harold
mentioned.

The other two differences I've noticed are block types and lintels.  In
Chicago, steel lintels are standard, and block lintels seem to be used
only if there's a good reason.  And after almost three years in Chicago,
I have yet to see an open-end block here...literally.  It was just the
opposite in California.  OK, I did SEE a closed-end block there once or
twice, but I'd never designed a steel lintel until I got here.

One thing I'm interested in is people's opinion of the quality of
masonwork in different parts of the country.  I was always happy with
the quality in Southern California, I didn't see enough to form an
opinion in Northern California, but in Chicago the quality I've seen
varies from not bad to not so good (for CMU--brick is another story).  I
also worked as a field engineer on a project in Florida, and let's just
say I'm glad there wasn't a lot of masonry on that job.

Chris Willcox, SE
Chicago