From: "Anantha Narayan C.K."
Subject: ASCE 7-02 Time period in Metric
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org

Greetings,

This might be the dumbest question on the forum, but could anyone
please let me know what I am doing incorrectly.

Reference : ASCE 7-02 Eq 9.5.5.3.2-1

Ta = Cu * hn ^ x

where for "All other structural systems" Cu = 0.02 (0.055 in metric)
and x = 0.75 [TABLE 9.5.5.3.2]

For a building that is 14.6 m high (= 47.88' )

Using English Units, Ta = 0.02 (47.88)^0.75 = 0.36 s

Using Metric Units, Ta = 0.055 (14.6)^0.75 = 0.41 s

Could anyone please tell me as to why there is a discrepancy between
the results?

Thanks
Anantha

VTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVT
VTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVTVT
VTVTVTVTVTVTVTVT

ANANTHA NARAYAN, E.I.
Structural Engineer
Bliss and Nyitray Inc.