Re: Steel Water Tank Foundation

Rich,
I have quite few publications on tank foundation (mat as well as ring
type) including a recent book by Edmund Melerski, CRC press
Publications. 2006.

Have you look at the Hydrocarbon & Petrolium Technology journals? in
this journal  verious type of foundation design examples published.
 I think it is worthwhile to look this journal for type of foundation
and the design criteria.

Himat

>>> seaint04(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com 09/28/06 11:05 AM >>>
I was asked to research a foundation design for a large steel water
tank.
The tank is about 50 feet diameter and 24 feet tall.  It looks like a
typical oil field tank.  Are there publications that give foundation
design
recommendations for large diameter tanks?  What is the best source of
design
criteria?

The owner has stated that typically they put down sand and gravel and
sit
the tank directly on that.  Then they build a steel ring around the
tank,
beyond the tank perimeter,  to contain the soil underneath.  Is this a
common procedure?  I would have expected a concrete ring footing below
the
tank.

If a concrete ring footing is used, does it only carry gravity load, or
is
it subject to tension forces from horizontal forces from the soil as
well?

Thanks for any insight you can give.

Rich