Sent: Thursday, September 28, 2006 10:53 AM
Subject: RE: Steel Water Tank Foundation

My personal preference is a Type ! foundation per AWWA D100, i.e. a concrete ringwall foundation.  The ringwall is designed for both the vertical loads (roof and shell reactions plus tributary water weight) and for lateral earth pressure due to the tank surcharge on the contained soil.  I use at-rest earth pressure since the ring tension will limit lateral deflection.

Bill Sherman
CH2M HILL / DEN
720-286-2792