Out-of-plane forces

List,

I am working on some single story buildings with CMU walls (and brick veneer) with a roof of metal deck over steel joist.  I am trying to determine the out-of-plane design loads for the masonry walls based on the 2003 IBC, which I am only somewhat familiar with.  If the building is in SDC ‘D’, what is the correct equation/section to use?  Is it section 1621 for “Architectural, Mechanical and Electrical Component Seismic Design Requirements” or section 1620.2.7?  If it is section 1621, the calculated force is double what I would normally design for under CBC 2001, which just doesn’t seem right.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Doug Mayer, S.E.

Structural Engineer

teter a+e, LLP