Discontinuous Shear Wall

Dear users;

We are working on aproject with a shear wall on a second story supported by a glulam beam below. I know that the beam needs to be design for the special load combination of CBC section 1612.4. What is not clear to me is the interpretation for Exception 1 of section 1630.8.2.1

(The quantity Em need not to exceed the maxim force that can be transferred to the elemnte by the lateral-force-resiting system)

What be my such a force one this particular situation? THaks in advance for any feedback.

Eliseo Arellano