Re: Hollow CMU anchors

Mark,

I don't think you can find epoxy in hollow concrete masonry that can resist seismic.  Even in grouted masonry, Epcon A7 Adhesive (ER-5560) of ITW-Ramset and Simpson SET (ER-5279) can not resist seismic.  You can only use Hilti HY-150 (ER-5193) to resist seismic in grouted masonry,  so how much more with hollow masonry.

Good luck,

A.S.Quilala Jr., P.E.

"Mark E. Deardorff" <mdeardorff(--nospam--at)burkett-wong.com> wrote:
We are providing braces to an existing CMU wall with skip grouting. We will need to provide anchors at grouted AND at ungrouted conditions. The bracing will occur in two stages. First, temporary bracing will be installed to be followed by permanent bracing. The only anchors that I can find that can be used in ungrouted cells like the Simpson epoxy tie anchor, are not available to resist seismic forces. The ICC Evaluation Report says only that they can be used to resist dead, live and wind loadings. The only thing I can find is the Titen screw that is only good for 200# tension. Way too low for our application.

Is anyone aware of an anchor product for use in an ungrouted CMU cell that can be used to resist seismic forces?

Thanks,

Mark E. Deardorff, Structural Engineer
Burkett & Wong
San Diego, CA