RE: Fire rating of steel columns inside a rated wall

I used to work at a building department.  I have 2000 IBC 713.2.1 highlighted.  It says that individual protection is required for  columns that are required to have a rating that support more than two floors or more than one floor and a roof.

Is the column required to have a rating because of the buildings rating or because it supports rated construction?  Does the column support more than...?  If not the building department may be misapplying the code.

From: Reza Dashti Asl [mailto:rezadashti(--nospam--at)hotmail.com]
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2006 4:27 PM
To: Seaint List Discussion List
Subject: Fire rating of steel columns inside a rated wall

Hi,

I have couple of steel columns (HSS) that need to be 2-hour fire rated and are located inside (at the end of) the 2-hour fire rated load-bearing steel stud walls. Do I need to provide extra protection for the column or is it enough that they are inside a 2-h rated wall?

Thanks,
Reza Dashti P.Eng
Vancouver, BC