Re: Discontinuous Shear Wall

The omega factor is usually the best choice in wood design because of the uncertainty of the maximum strength. Maximum force of the walls above are to equal their ultimate failing capacity. Wood framed shear panel maximum capacity can very high when bounded by framing. It is not just the nail capacity.

Even unrated gypsum wall board have a substantial failure capacity, from my poor memory, tests result in maximum capacity exceeding 200 plf. Unintended shear walls are a problem in failure but hopefully the intended walls are long, stiffer and will receive most of the load before much is transferred into the unintended walls.

David Merrick, SE
Sacramento, CA