From: Jake Watson [mailto:jake.watson1(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 03, 2006 9:17 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Precast Column Base Connection

You've got the right section.  That is what we use for precast columns.  Our detail usually is pretty close to emulating monolithic.  Have you seen the NMB or Lenton splice sleeves?  Have a look at them.  At first it may look like overkill, but once you do one you realize how easy they are to install.  We also use these to connect wall to wall.  Quick, easy, and strong.

http://www.splicesleeve.com/
http://www.erico.com/products/InterLock.asp

When pushed, we sometimes allow an anchor bolt substitution.  Weld column vertical steel to a heavy base plate.  Block out the bottom corners of the column to allow for anchor bolt nuts.  This should only be used when there is no chance for moment or tension on the column.

Also if you oversize the splice sleeve, you have more "slop" with the splice sleeve than with anchor bolts.

HTH,

Jake Watson, P.E.
Salt Lake City, UT