From: Jim Getaz [mailto:jgetaz(--nospam--at)shockeyprecast.com]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 8:05 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Precast Column Base Connection

            Mark,

                        The precast community thinks that the 200Ag tension force requirement in ACI 318 is something that “all those cast-in-place guys on the committee force on precast” to keep precast a pimple on a gnat compared to the rest of the construction industry. Do you detect a defensive tone, here?

                        Most precast column to foundation joints are designed as pins, so require shear capacity only. If they are designed as carrying moment, it is easy to do an interaction diagram to determine how much steel is required for the moment, usually much less than minimum steel for a compression member and much less than 200 Ag. It is even easy to design a splice in a column as a pin – if the location is chosen properly, it does not change the moments in the rest of the column much.

                        If the connection needs to carry substantial moment, NMB Splice Sleeves and Erico connectors work well. Even Erico will say that NMBs develop a larger overcapacity (150% instead of 125%) of the strength of the bar, which may be an issue in a high-seismic area.

                        As for your comment that NMB Splice Sleeves “Sure makes connections come together easily,” our erection crews could not disagree more. They put up with them where they have to (e.g., shear walls), but they sure prefer anchor rods. And they prefer enough anchor rods to hold the column in place so the hook can move on to the next piece while others grout the Splice Sleeves.

                        Most EORs with whom we work leave the design details to a designated (specialty structural, etc.) engineer. Every precaster has run across the same problems and devised different ways to solve it and cannot bear to think of the way another company would do it. You may want to allow that to happen here. You’ll get a better executed detail because the low bidder will do it the way he likes, and your owner will get a lower price because the low bidder will do it the way he likes.

            James L. Getaz III, P.E.

            Precast Concrete Engineer

            Winchester, Virginia