RE: Spanish Tile Roof

Thanks to all for the input.  I didn’t realize there was so much variation.

Rich

From: Paul Feather [mailto:PFeather(--nospam--at)se-solutions.net]
Sent: Wednesday, October 04, 2006 3:28 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Spanish Tile Roof

Depends

Real Spanish tile can be very heavy, like 19 psf.  If the roof is true two piece overlapping half barrels with mortar the roof is really heavy.  It is much more common to use S tile that looks like Spanish tile (sort of) than to actually go to the expense and weight of using real Spanish tile.  S tile is more like regular roof tile at 8 to 12 psf.

If you are in a historic district or strict municipality, or maybe it is just a real high end product, then real Spanish tile may be required.