Brick Veneer Separation

Has anyone had the occasion to see modern brick veneers pull away from the wall substrate in a wood frame building? I've got a building that the owner believes has the brick veneer pulling away from the wall, as evidenced by an out of plumb veneer and a window sill separation at the third (attic) floor. This is 2 year old construction, no foundation cracks (40 year concrete foundation with new work above), no brick cracks (either in the field or at the new/old junction). The vinyl windows look like they were installed in openings a little too small (buckling at head), and they seem to be tight to the brick veneer sills. My first thought was the windows are creeping out during expansion/contraction thermal cycling. It's a treed lot, so the top floor gets a good bit more sun than the lower floors.

Unless the ties have failed or were not installed (unlikely - the owner has a photo where I think I see ties being installed at the first floor level), I'm at a bit of a loss to describe a movement of the brick _relative to the backing wall_. Based on a hand held laser sweep, the wall seems pretty flat. Anybody have a horror story to tell about brick veneer pulling away from wood?

--
Jordan