Re: Lateral Load at top of wood stud wall

Jerold,
I had a similar problem with a new church auxiliary building abt 10-12 years ago. The thing is to tell the truss supplier to limit his lateral deflection as much as possible--means heavier members than they would ordinarily choose. They managed to restrict the horiz movement to approx 2 inches. I explained the problem to the contractor who came up with a cheap easy solution. He came up with a large crown moulding which was not fastened to the ceiling so that the walls could move out with trusses and hide the joint. So far so good. Another option, which he offered which was not used, was to put in a lighting bulkhead on each side so that the lighting would reflect up. It would hide the joint but changing the lights would be a little more awkward.
Gary

jerold taylor wrote:
I have a design with a couple of conditions I do not have much familiarity with. Specifically, I have this situation … designing the supports for a wood frame building with stud walls supporting a relatively steep scissor truss. The locations is in a heavy snow region. I have yet to receive load information from the truss manufacturer, but have concerns about a long span scissor truss under a heavy snow load inducing a relatively large lateral thrust load AND displacement at the top of the wood stud wall.
Does anyone have recommendations on:
· How to analyze the stud wall (roughly 12 feet tall) that is not laterally supported at its top but has a continuous lateral loading? By the way, the stud wall is relatively long (150 feet), so I cannot count on a perpendicular wall to anchor to. · References on how to analyze this type of stud wall (or similar loading condition, whether the load is from snow loading or not).
· Code criteria (such as story lateral drift)?
Thanks in advance!!
Jerold Taylor PE SE