Re: Lateral Load at top of wood stud wall

In such cases I always write into the truss spec that scissors trusses shall react all lateral thrust within the truss and that no lateral forces are to be transfered to the plate. Where displacement is a significant concern, a maximum deflection criteria can also be applied (though I haven't had to do that, and don't know what the reaction would be from the truss mfrs). If the thrust/deflection cannot be addressed by the trusses then the architect needs to know that his combination of inner and outer pitch are not structurally feasible (this I've had to do on several occasions). This is the route I've taken in the past, and have had little difficulty.

BTW - the top of the wall is laterally supported by the trusses and roof sheathing diaphragm. If it's not designed to be that way, then you have stability problems which need to be addressed. All stud walls need to be laterally restrained at two points (duh), and the roof trusses provide that connection point at the top. Internal walls are nice, but a single (spliced double) 2x top plate won't really provide any analytically meaningful thrust resistance when spanning between walls of normal room sizes.

Jordan

jerold taylor wrote:
I have a design with a couple of conditions I do not have much familiarity with. Specifically, I have this situation … designing the supports for a wood frame building with stud walls supporting a relatively steep scissor truss. The locations is in a heavy snow region. I have yet to receive load information from the truss manufacturer, but have concerns about a long span scissor truss under a heavy snow load inducing a relatively large lateral thrust load AND displacement at the top of the wood stud wall.
Does anyone have recommendations on:
· How to analyze the stud wall (roughly 12 feet tall) that is not laterally supported at its top but has a continuous lateral loading? By the way, the stud wall is relatively long (150 feet), so I cannot count on a perpendicular wall to anchor to. · References on how to analyze this type of stud wall (or similar loading condition, whether the load is from snow loading or not).
· Code criteria (such as story lateral drift)?
Thanks in advance!!
Jerold Taylor PE SE