Re: Brick Veneer Separation

This is one of those cases where you wish you could see a failure. I know of one building with wood studs and one with too light guage studs with too light of galvanized coating, both are over twenty years old and neither shows any sign of failure. It makes it hard to try and do things the right way when a contractor says he has always done it that way and never had a problem.  These two projects were designed by the same firm and built by the same contractor and I know they have built several similar buildings.

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
Did the veneer actually separate, and if so was it a lengthening of the ties or a failure of the tie to gwb sheathing connector?
Jordan

Roger Davis wrote:
I have seen simlar veneers with corrugated ties spaced 16" x 32" and they couldn't have been more than 22 gauge, 7/8" wide.  The sheathing was gypsum board to further compound the problems.

Roger C. Davis
Architect
SDS Architects, Inc.

"Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> wrote:
Has anyone had the occasion to see modern brick veneers pull away from
the wall substrate in a wood frame building? I've got a building that
the owner believes has the brick veneer pulling away from the wall, as
evidenced by an out of plumb veneer and a window sill separation at the
third (attic) floor. This is 2 year old construction, no foundation
cracks (40 year concrete foundation with new work above), no brick
cracks (either in the field or at the new/old junction). The vinyl
windows look like they were installed in openings a little too small
(buckling at head), and they seem to be tight to the brick veneer sills.
My first thought was the windows are creeping out during
expansion/contraction thermal cycling. It's a treed lot, so the top
floor gets a good bit more sun than the lower floors.

Unless the ties have failed or were not installed (unlikely - the owner
has a photo where I think I see ties being installed at the first floor
level), I'm at a bit of a loss to describe a movement of the brick
_relative to the backing wall_. Based on a hand held laser sweep, the
wall seems pretty flat. Anybody have a horror story to tell about brick
veneer pulling away from wood?

--
Jordan

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp