From: "Jordan Truesdell, PE" <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 05, 2006 12:06 PM
Subject: Brick Veneer Separation

Has anyone had the occasion to see modern brick veneers pull away from
the wall substrate in a wood frame building? I've got a building that
the owner believes has the brick veneer pulling away from the wall, as
evidenced by an out of plumb veneer and a window sill separation at the
third (attic) floor. This is 2 year old construction, no foundation
cracks (40 year concrete foundation with new work above), no brick
cracks (either in the field or at the new/old junction). The vinyl
windows look like they were installed in openings a little too small
(buckling at head), and they seem to be tight to the brick veneer sills.
My first thought was the windows are creeping out during
expansion/contraction thermal cycling. It's a treed lot, so the top
floor gets a good bit more sun than the lower floors.

Unless the ties have failed or were not installed (unlikely - the owner
has a photo where I think I see ties being installed at the first floor
level), I'm at a bit of a loss to describe a movement of the brick
_relative to the backing wall_.  Based on a hand held laser sweep, the
wall seems pretty flat.  Anybody have a horror story to tell about brick
veneer pulling away from wood?

--
Jordan