RE: Fundamental Frequency of Tall Steel Tank

This is similar to a stack supported by a frame. Look at the examples in ASME STS-1, Steel Stacks.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

From: "M. David Finley, P.E., P.A." <davidfinley(--nospam--at)bizsea.rr.com>
To: "Seaint(--nospam--at)Seaint.Org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Fundamental Frequency of Tall Steel Tank
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:59:37 -0400

I'm doing some preliminary sizing for the foundations for some tall
cylindrical steel tanks - 8'-0" diameter x 66'-0" high.  They will be in a
low seismic area, so wind loading is my concern right now.

I need to estimate the fundamental frequency of the tank in order to
determine the Gust Factor per ASCE 7.  Can someone point me to a good
reference?  Is there a reasonably conservative value I can assume for this
preliminary work?

Since I am just considering wind at this point, the empty tank will control
and therefore I don't need to consider the added effects of the liquid
contents in determining the fundamental frequency, right?
Thanks,

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111