From: Doug Mayer [mailto:dougm(--nospam--at)teterae.com]
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 12:46 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Discontinuous Shear walls

Andy,

Per the 2001 CBC section 1626.3:

Seismic and Wind Design.  When the code-prescribed wind design produces greater effects, the wind design shall govern, but detailing requirements and limitations prescribed in this section and referenced sections shall be followed.

I take this to mean that even if wind loads govern, you still have to design and detail based on seismic requirements.  I don’t know if there is a comparable section in the IBC, but I would assume there is.  Hope that helps.

Doug Mayer, S.E.

Structural Engineer

teter a+e, LLP

Architects & Engineers