RE: Fundamental Frequency of Tall Steel Tank

Professor Houser has given a formula in BSSA journal for an elevated
tank. Also couple of papers published in the ASCE Structural Division
around 1957-58.

If a uniform stack is considered, there a chapter in Tubular Steel
structures - Theroty and Design published by Lincoln Arc Welding Fdn,

If the base is flare
T = 0.29 sqrt of deflection in inched

for uniform cross section

T= 1.79 sqrt of ( WH^4/EIg)

>>> spraguehope(--nospam--at)hotmail.com 10/06/06 11:28 AM >>>
This is similar to a stack supported by a frame.  Look at the examples
in
ASME STS-1, Steel Stacks.

Regards,
Harold Sprague

>From: "M. David Finley, P.E., P.A." <davidfinley(--nospam--at)bizsea.rr.com>
>To: "Seaint(--nospam--at)Seaint.Org" <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
>Subject: Fundamental Frequency of Tall Steel Tank
>Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 10:59:37 -0400
>
>I'm doing some preliminary sizing for the foundations for some tall
>cylindrical steel tanks - 8'-0" diameter x 66'-0" high.  They will be
in a
>low seismic area, so wind loading is my concern right now.
>
>I need to estimate the fundamental frequency of the tank in order to
>determine the Gust Factor per ASCE 7.  Can someone point me to a good
>reference?  Is there a reasonably conservative value I can assume for
this
>preliminary work?
>
>Since I am just considering wind at this point, the empty tank will
control
>and therefore I don't need to consider the added effects of the
liquid
>contents in determining the fundamental frequency, right?
>Thanks,
>
>David Finley
>M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
>2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
>Lake City, FL  32025
>386-752-6400

Add fun gadgets and colorful themes to express yourself on Windows Live

Spaces
http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwsp0070000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.get.live.com/spaces/features