Re: Steel connection design

Bill:

I interpret this to mean that the connection must be designed such that it
will be the member that will fail at its ultimate load rather than the
connection.  As simple example might help.  Take a simply supported steel
beam.  It is rare that the beam is designed such that you are right at the
fully allowable load such that the beam will fail in any an all modes.
Typically, the beam is sized such that the allowable moment is close to
applied moment, with maybe a little to spare.  But, shear applied might
not be anywhere near the maximum allowable.  To me, that spec provisions
would mean that I would figure out the worst possible end reaction that
could result from any type of loading and then design the connection for
that reaction.

Another example is a short beam.  Typically, in such cases, the beam is
oversized (i.e. the applied moment is no where near the allowable moment),
but the engineer still dictates that the connection should be designed for
an end reaction that would result from the full allowable load that would
result from the beam reaching the full allowable moment.

HTH,

Scott
Adrian, MI