RE: Building Settlement - Las Vegas

From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com]
Sent: Thursday, May 04, 2006 8:58 AM
To: Seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Building Settlement - Las Vegas

Comments?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates Inc.
Houston, Texas
P: 832.467.2177
M: 281.450.8426

-----Original Message-----

We are investigating settlement of a building in Las Vegas.  The buildings
that have settled are on the order of 40 years old - the settlement is
reportedly a relatively recent phenomenon - starting within the last five or
six years.  A new building was constructed adjacent to the older buildings,
however, the construction was only a couple of years ago, after the
settlement had already started.

The settlement is significant - in some locations on the order of 6 or more
inches.

Two recent geotech studies identify gypsum in the soils and note that the
gypsum can go into suspension if water is present.

Anyone have any experience with something similar?