ACI 318 App. D

Good Sunday afternoon,

While working with IBC and ACI 318-02, Appendix D, I found out that the cast-in anchor pullout strength was reduced 2.5 or more times as compared to the previous (say, 1997 UBC 1923) approaches.  Such change seems quite dramatic, but may be I am not reading correctly?  Or does this mean that the most recent research renders all our pervious anchor bolt design (and research, and testing) non-conservative at best?

The other question is that UBC was pretty clear on the anchor capacities with or without special inspection.  Where (if at all) can I find similar requirements in the IBC?

TIA

Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA