Re: ACI 318 App. D

Steve:

Table 1704.4 lists the requirement of continuous inspection of anchors in
cast-in-place concrete.  It references section 1912.5.  Now, it appears
that this is ONLY for allowable stress design of anchors in concrete
(section 1912 of the 2003 IBC).  It appears that if you do continous
inspection of anchors in concrete which were designed per ASD (section
1912), then you may increase allowable tension (but not shear) loads by
100%.  HOWEVER, section 1912 specifically says that is CANNOT be used for
seismic loading and that you must design anchors in concrete for seismic
loads using section 1913, which is the strength method (which in the 2003
IBC bascially references ACI 318-02 appendix D).  I don't see any
requirements in the IBC for inspection if the anchors are designed by
strength method (i.e. ACI 318-02 Appendix D)...although I did not look
at it too terribly closely.

Regards,

Scott
Adrian, MI