Re: wind load to retaining wall

Using Method 2, the formulas for "Other Structures" (6.5.13) does not give positive and negative pressures.  ASCE 7-05 section 6.5.14 " Design wind loads on Solid Freestanding Walls and Solid Signs" is the same formula and does not give positive and negative pressures.  No, there are no exemptions, but using the full value on the full height of a retaining wall also seems excessive.

Joe

On Mon Oct 9 12:16 , 'Jordan Truesdell, PE' <seaint1(--nospam--at)truesdellengineering.com> sent:

Did you calculate the positive and negative pressures on the wall (you
didn't mention the method used)? If so, then apply them over the exposed
areas. I'm not aware of anything in ASCE7 which would exempt a portion
of a wall from wind loading. The negative pressure should apply to the
full exposed face from an aerodynamic point of view, unless the wall is
so tall in relation to the oncoming flow that it materially affects the
boundary conditions.

Jordan